Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Reuben K. Caron reuben at laptop.org
Wed Mar 24 08:53:10 EDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Reuben K. Caron
> <reuben at laptop.org> wrote:
>> IMHO, OLPC would be able to provide deployments with the option of
>> including
>> Adobe Flash, while continuing to include Gnash as default
>
> There are some aspects that are outside of OLPC control
>
> - We need RPMs from Adobe -- in the case if AIR, they are not
> available. Carlos and anyone else interested _must chase Adobe_, not
> OLPC.

Yes and no. Anyone technically capable to rebuild our build system, as
you mention below, will be able to easily script the installation of
AIR.

> - Licensing issues need to be sorted out. Carlos and anyone
> interested _must chase Adobe_, not OLPC.

No again, OLPC should have done the legwork so deployments don't have
to jump through the hurdles of obtaining licensing from Adobe.

> - If Adobe cares about running well on XOs, Adobe should ask for
> laptops through the contributors programme (like everyone else!).
> Carlos any anyone interested must chase Adobe on that.

I'll work with Carlos on this.

> With those 2 sorted out, it's damned trivial to add it to an 8.2.x
> build (using my latest patches to install arbitrary rpms), and thanks
> to the more flexible build system for f11 builds it's trivial to add
> it to an XO-1.5 image.
>
> There is noone at OLPC blocking this. Go folks, go lobby Adobe.

Agreed.