Devel Digest, Vol 49, Issue 43

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 24 06:46:03 EDT 2010

On 24.03.2010, at 01:56, Carlos Nazareno wrote:

>> The real problem with Flash isn't even the non-free player. It's the non-free authoring
>> tool chain every content creator is locked into, plus that even with the tools the
>> resulting flash file is not fully editable. The result is an impenetrable magic gimmick,
>> it's not supposed to be examined, deconstructed, rebuilt, improved. It's teaching kids
>> to be consumers, not to be creators.
>
> What? Have you guys not been reading what I've been saying?
>
> THERE ARE NOW FREE AND OPEN SOURCE TOOLS FOR CREATING FLASH CONTENT.
>
> You have Flashdevelop (opn source Actionscript Editor for Windows),
> Flex SDK (all you need is a text editor to make AS3 .as files and a
> command line to compile the SWF a la JDK), also, HaXe.
>
> -Naz

So you would ditch Adobe's tools for these? You would happily use these to recreate your game on a Linux machine? I doubt that. But it's all we can assume that "our" kids, teachers, and developers have. Are you sure you're not treating them as second-class citizens? Do they have the same privileges in creating and modifying things as you enjoy?

- Bert -