Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Mar 23 21:42:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

(Don't have time to reply to everything you said, sorry.)

   > I think this is a case of open source fundamentalism trumping
   > educational goals.

No.  My IAEP post listed only educational goals; there was nothing
about open source being a virtue for its own sake.  You can disagree
with how important those educational goals are (the rest of the
educational software industry clearly does, so the disagreement would
be unsurprising) but you can't claim that they aren't about education.

   > Flashdevelop (opn source Actionscript Editor for Windows), [..]

Maybe the reason we're miscommunicating is that you don't understand
that we aren't willing to expect that our users have access to another
computer running Windows (because they don't), or for them to use a
text editor to edit content that was created in a GUI (since that's
*much* harder, and is treating them as a second-class citizen).
The XO is all we have to work with.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>