surprisingly early suspend

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Mar 8 18:52:24 EST 2010

> Perhaps the suspend/sleep process should be disabled until the laptop is
> assigned a child's name and color preference on first boot.  I find
> sleep to
> be more disorienting, as the screen is turned off (my laptop broke!)
> and it
> takes a press of the power button, not the keyboard, to wake the
> laptop up.

What ever happened to making suspend invisible on the XO, and happen
between keystrokes?  I thought the new hardware was going to fix all the
issues that prevented us from enabling that in the old hardware.

(Suspend -- turning the CPU off -- should be separate from dimming the
screen, and should also be separate from sleeping.  If you can suspend and
can dim, maybe you should sleep after an hour or something, but with the
CPU and RAM off and the backlight off, how much does sleep really save?)

	John