surprisingly early suspend

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Mar 8 00:21:39 EST 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:05 AM, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>> Suspend happens after fifteen seconds of no UI interaction
>> (there are other criteria as well).
>
> What I was surprised by was that suspend occurred when I failed to
> type
> in ("UI interact" within its time limit) the name it prompted me for
> (this was during an initial boot-up of a newly-installed build).
>
> I suppose that a first-time user of an XO will continue entering
> keystrokes when no feedback is evident (it took time for my XO to
> "wake
> up" from its suspended state) -- but does suspending in this situation
> leave a good "first impression" when a newbie powers up a virgin XO ?
>
> mikus

> p.s.  The XO woke up *once* I had pressed keys at the its built-in
> green
> keyboard - but until I saw the screen "brightening", I really had no
> idea as to why it appeared to be unresponsive (I didn't expect
> suspend).

I've gone through that user name request process dozens of times, and I
find the screen dimming and brightening to be intrusive.   In that
situation,
if you start typing you will find that screen feedback is presented
within
(roughly) a second and no characters are lost.

Perhaps the suspend/sleep process should be disabled until the laptop is
assigned a child's name and color preference on first boot.  I find
sleep to
be more disorienting, as the screen is turned off (my laptop broke!)
and it
takes a press of the power button, not the keyboard, to wake the
laptop up.

wad