USB2VGA adapters on XO-1.5 (and XO-1 with F11 images)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Jul 7 17:21:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - It is slow and laggy. A VNC protocol expert may be able to help us
> optimise...

Might try some of the VNC encoding options, like those at:
 http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html#ColorEncoding
Assuming you're using a Unix domain or localhost socket, the "raw"
encoding might be best, with # colors matched to the source/dest.

>  - If you look carefully, the mirror session has a small square cursor
> in the middle of the screen. We need a variant on
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/AdvancedTopicsFAQ#Iwanttomakethemousecursorinvisible
> but I could not make it work. Given how the technique works, I think
> vncviewer is overriding the root window cursor.

This is a feature of vnc -- since the "remote system" cursor may lag
your local cursor, VNC represents your local cursor with a small box,
so that any mismatch between local and remote cursors is obvious and
visible.  The "UseLocalCursor" option to VNC should affect this.  (You
also might want to look into AutoReconnect.)

I'm using the names of the options in the "official" vnc viewer, but I
think the open source ones have the same options, maybe spelled
somewhat differently.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )