Update procedure 10.1.1 XO1.5

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jul 4 20:10:22 EDT 2010

G'day David,

I've just tested http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_stick for you
on an XO-1.5 which already had os204 on it.  The stick was for
installing the HelloWorld-1.xo activity only.  It worked fine.

Because the XO-1.5 had security disabled, I pressed the X game key while
powering up.  The graphical boot animation went away and a text booting
log appears.  You should see "Hello, (deployment people of the) world!"
as a confirmation that the customisation process is happening.

Check your order to see if you are receiving units with security
disabled.  Once you have your hands on them, test by trying to get to
the "ok" prompt http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ok and typing .mfg-data ...
laptops with security disabled have a "ww" tag.  Laptops with security
enabled have a "wp" tag which prevents you from reaching the "ok"
prompt.

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 08:12:24AM +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> I.e. I can see that one reinstalls the OS by starting up the XO-1.5
> with a flashdrive containing os204.img and fs.zip, holding down the
> four game keys; if you want to install a bundle of activities at the
> same time, what is the procedure (for locked XOs)?

It is as documented on the Wiki page.  Paraphrasing:

Hold down all four game keys.  The operating system image will be
installed.  When the laptop boots, it will see the USB stick still
present and install the activity bundles.

I've just tested the four game keys method for os205 and it worked fine,
although I had to intervene ... an unlocked, security disabled, laptop
requires an X game key down at the time the laptop boots after operating
system image install.

In place of adding activities with a customisation key, you could
instead build an operating system image yourself.  This is a fairly
complex process by comparison.

> How does gnash on the 10.1.1 release compare with previous versions, do we
> still need to install Flash 10+ to view stuff like youtube and flash
> animations?

I've not compared gnash with previous release, but on os205 with no
additional software installed a youtube.com 0vFYYQhf8jg did not play, a
message "An error occurred, please try again later." appeared.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/