Record activity performance

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Dec 23 01:10:22 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 04:53:26PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> I'm not sure if this should go to olpc devel or sugar devel, so I'm
> just sending it here for now.
>
> Record-86 is much better than it used to be, but we're still seeing
> some problems with recording and playback on 10.1.2 on our XO-1.5s.
>
> Firstly, I tried Record after having used the XO with various
> activities (Musicpainter, Image Thumbnail, etc.) and closed them
> (leaving nothing else running). Recording in Low for 2 min appeared to
> work, but playback gave no sound, and it paused after about 10
> seconds.

That's interesting.  I've not heard about that.  What version of those
activities?  Where do you get Musicpainter from?  I can't see it at
activities.sugarlabs.org.  Nor can I see anything called Thumbnail.

If these activities change the mixer controls at all then this may lead
to the "no sound" symptom you describe.

> Restarting the XO, I ran Record again. Playback of the video was fine.
> Then I recorded a 2 min video in High quality. Fast movement, etc.
> seemed okay until the final ~30 seconds. At this point, the screen
> updated very slowly. I reduced the image complexity so that it was
> able to catch up by the end.
>
> Playing back the High quality video gave me what I had seen on the
> screen when recording, i.e. it was fine until about 30 secs remaining.
> Then the frame rate slowed to a crawl. Audio continued to be smooth
> despite the video. The video was fine by the final few seconds, in
> sync with the audio.
>
> We're tracking this here: https://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/86
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done to address this?

Everything else you said above, apart from the "no sound" symptom,
matches what we placed in the release notes for 10.1.2.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2#Record_activity_video_recording_may_pause

What class SD card are you using?

Since the version of Record has not changed between 10.1.2 and 10.1.3,
it is expected that the same problem will affect 10.1.3.

It sounds like "High quality" may need removing temporarily if this
problem isn't fixed.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/