An XO on its last legs?

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at
Sat Dec 4 16:01:50 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM, John Watlington <wad at> wrote:

> The symptoms you describe (power light and Mic light coming on, but nothing
> else)
> indicates that the main processor isn't executing any code.   This is
> usually caused
> by one of two problems: corruption of the SPI ROM containing the boot
> loader or
> a cracked solder ball underneath the processor.   I doubt it is the former,
> as once it
> died it wouldn't restart.
> You can test for the latter by pressing down on the processor (biggest chip
> on the
> board) and seeing if it improves the situation.   Unfortunately, it is
> impossible to fix
> this in the field.   It requires reflowing the board again.
Not exactly, although the fix isn't 100%, he can try to heat it up with a
heat gun at some electronics repair shop. It worked with Xbox 360s, which
are plagged by the same issue, even though it sometimes isn't a definitive
Then again, can you even successively reflow it with the epoxy around the
Out of curiosity though, is this a problem that plagues more XOs or has the
solder's chemistry been worked out?

Best regards,