USB Ethernet test

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 14:22:01 EST 2010

Update on the request for testing:

As per below, adaptors and cable have already been verified.

As base desired behaviour, verified XO1 running Build 802 auto-assigns
itself an IPv4 169 address and is able to connect to a Windows machine.

Alas, on the testing phase:

Used two newly refreshed XO 1.0's at build 852, Booted into Sugar

Disabled radio from Control Panel.

Verified Network View map did not show the other XO.

ifconfig showed only loopback

Auto Power management always turned off

Plugged the USB adaptors into the XO's

Adaptors show up correctly in LSUSB, on USB 2.0 bus.

eth0 Interface created.  No IP addresses assigned. Orange indicator lights
come on and remain solid

Attached cross-over cable to each;  orange and green lights illuminate, then
flash, then continue to flash intermittently

No IP V4 auto-assigned addresses are created.  Packets are beign sent and
received, no packets are lost.

On both machines, IPV6 auto-assigned addresses have been created.

Ping6 between the two machines shows the machines communicating well.

However, network view map on both machines is still empty. Neither can see
the other in that screen.  Still no IPV4 addresses assigned.

All above testing done in root in the terminal from Sugar activity.  Sorry,
I dont know how to the step request of : "check Sugar frame for an IP
address assignment".  I also dont know how to check "collaboration through
sharing", Sugar and I are just getting to know each other.

So, state at this moment of the test is that we can PING6 in both directions
using th eth0 USB interface, but there is no IPV4 connectivity.

At the terminal prompt on each machine I issue the avahi autoupdate -D.

ifconfig now shows an eth0:avahi entry, with an IPV4 address in the 169.254
range.  The addresses are unique.  The machines now appear in each others'
network view map screen. ping now works, ping6 still works.

That's the end of the 2 XO1s test

I repeat the entire test using 2xXO1.5's with 852.  The results are
identical.

Leaving one XO1.5 up with the demon killed, I try an Ubuntu 10.04 box and
Fedora 11 box.  Results are identical.  IPv6 is auto-assigned, IPv4
auto-address assignment and connectivity requires the avahi-autoipd daemon
to be run.

I repeat the tests three times with an XO 1.0 at 802, a Windows 7, and a
Windows XP in turn as the second machines, again leaving the 1 XO 1.5/852 as
the first box. In all these cases, the XO1/802, the Windows 7 and the
Windows XP box, all assign themselves an 169 series IPv4 address, as well as
an IPv6 address, without any need for command line.  However, in each case
the avahi-autoupdate -D must be run on the XO 1.5/852 to enable the
eth0:avahi entry to come up and thus provide these three boxes an ability to
communicate over IPv4.

I then repeat everything with 2 XO 1.0's at 359 and 2 XO 1.5's at 359 and
the results are identical to the 852 tests above and the F11 and Ubuntu
tests.   IPv6 auto-addresses and connectivity is automatic, IPv4 requires
avahi-autoipd.

Notes.

1)  The Windows boxes use /128 subnet mask at IPv6, the Linux boxes use
/64.  As such, the ping6 command works depending on whether the Windows box
comes up in the same subnet, otherwise sometimes a little spoof of the MAC
address (which defines the last 4) works to allow IPv6.

2) It was not possible to turn off the wireless on the XO 1.0's running 802
by using the disable radio button on the control panel. I'm sure I could
have disabled it from the command line; but , it was no big deal, as the
other box used in the test (the one at 852) did have wireless off, and it
could not be seen int the network view until the avahi-autoupdate was run
there.

Other than the two Sugar steps that I don't know how to do, I think this
maybe completes the request.

If so, let me know, and I'll return to USB2VGA and 3G data-stick testing.
Otherwise feel free to give me more instructions.

Cheers

KG

.