"Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Aug 24 13:20:05 EDT 2010

On 08/24/2010 01:01 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:

> Well - the issue is IMHO that OLPC always sold the public on the mesh
> idea. So it is somewhat of a bummer that the mesh is gone now.

Let me re-phrase what I said before all the rumors start to fly and I
get in trouble.  The "idea" of mesh is still alive and well at OLPC.  We
still very much believe in mesh.

Whats not there in 1.5 is
"OLPC-original-mesh-routing-in-the-wlan-firmware".  One can still
accomplish "mesh" via thin firmware.

And if you use multiple 1.5's out under a tree with no AP ah-hoc
networking still allows them all to communicate just like XO1.

Almost nothing has changed except that now we don't melt down the 2.4Ghz
RF spectrum when a bunch of them are near each other.

Having been once burned by mesh we are taking the "show me it works in a
school" stance before jumping back into the mesh-routing game.  We need
to see definitive numbers not just speculation.

Like you said.  There are AP's that will do all the fancy Tx power
management without any mesh-routing.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child