"Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Aug 24 13:29:50 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> On 08/24/2010 01:01 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>

>> Well - the issue is IMHO that OLPC always sold the public on the mesh
>> idea. So it is somewhat of a bummer that the mesh is gone now.
>>

> Let me re-phrase what I said before all the rumors start to fly and I get in trouble.  The "idea" of mesh is still alive and well at OLPC.  We still very much believe in mesh.

Ah ok. As said - I was not very much in touch with the current operations and decisions at OLPC. Sorry about that.

> Whats not there in 1.5 is "OLPC-original-mesh-routing-in-the-wlan-firmware".  One can still accomplish "mesh" via thin firmware.

ok

> And if you use multiple 1.5's out under a tree with no AP ah-hoc networking still allows them all to communicate just like XO1.

perfect :)

> Almost nothing has changed except that now we don't melt down the 2.4Ghz RF spectrum when a bunch of them are near each other.
>
> Having been once burned by mesh we are taking the "show me it works in a school" stance before jumping back into the mesh-routing game.  We need to see definitive numbers not just speculation.

makes sense.

> Like you said.  There are AP's that will do all the fancy Tx power management without any mesh-routing.

sure. But those you have to pay extra for ;-) But they work... agreed.

Hm.... well, you at least got me thinking how we can make a small dense indoor mesh working without APs.... interesting challenge. Like think about replacing those smart APs by a distributed version. Interesting...

a.