[Sugar-devel] Making OLPC / Sugar Labs more approachable (was: Re: OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 1)

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Sun Aug 8 18:07:26 EDT 2010

Brenda -

I'm assuming your teachers and education ministry decision makers don't normally interact with OLPC by asking questions on OLPCNews forums, which was the context and the specific question I was answering.  The topic of, "what are all the ways all interested parties worldwide communicate with OLPC" is obviously a far more complex one, and not one I was attempting to answer.  But people interested in communicating with OLPC and/or Sugar Labs should be able to find either of us - we usually try to point newcomers to our wiki at http://wiki.laptop.org.  It's not perfect, but it's a good way to find pointers.

But it is absolutely true that anyone who is volunteering (or getting paid) to test OLPC software and hardware should know how to submit a trac ticket.  That is the mechanism we use to track reported problems, so using trac should be an essential part of the training any volunteer tester should get.  While everyone likes nicely-researched and well-written problem reports, that shouldn't be an obstacle.  If there's information missing on a ticket, people working on it can ask for more.  But if the ticket's not there at all, we won't know there's a problem to fix.

	- Ed