[Sugar-devel] Making OLPC / Sugar Labs more approachable (was: Re: OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 1)

Brenda Wallace shiny at cpan.org
Sun Aug 8 18:00:09 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> 1. Report bugs at http://dev.laptop.org/newticket - if necessary, register
>>> first at http://dev.laptop.org/register (as mavrothal kindly points out)
>>> 2. If you have interesting experiences or user information to contribute,
>>> please do so at http://wiki.laptop.org
>>> 3. If you're unwilling to perform steps 1 and/or 2 as appropriate, please
>>> don't expect the bug to be fixed, or for anyone else to even know about it.

<snip>
>> The core here is that software developers seem very reluctant to step out of
>> their own comfort zone when it comes to processes and tools (a.k.a. point 3
>> a.k.a. "my way or the highway") yet consistently expect teachers and other
>> XO and Sugar users to do exactly that.
>
> What was the context for Ed's post? And who was his intended audience?
> Certainly not the end user. In .uy we have discussed various
> mechanisms for bug reporting by children and teachers. The current
> plan of record is to use some sort of web form where the bugs are
> aggregated by a technical liaison. The liaison might then be trained
> in filing the occasional ticket on Trac. As with any software (and
> hardware) project, different people in the support hierarchy utilize
> different tools.

It will need re-wording if this it something seen by the volunteers
who test sugar and activities in their own time each week - some of
them are the our teachers or education ministry decision makers. Can
the same be said without it sounding like "do it our way or go away"?
-- Item 3 probably could be dropped completely. It's not welcoming,
and makes the project seem unapproachable.