No subject

Mon Apr 12 06:29:16 EDT 2010

dichotomy between people who want to keep the system "pure" free-open-source
versus others who are more interested in getting something good built even
if it incorporates some free but not open source software.  I'm a
pragmatist.   Until FOSS can provide the tools I need to create what I want,
I'm not averse to using what I can get now and porting to FOSS later when it
catches up.

Stan

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:

> stanley wrote:
>  > You can see the Xubuntu system running on our XO-1 at:  Internet Math
>  > Tutoring / OLPC Project
>  > <
> http://internetmathtutoring.com/olpc/static.php?page=static090711-100100>.
>
> what does this have to do with flash?
>
>  >
>  > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Stanley Sokolow <
> overbyte at earthlink.net>wrote:
>  > > interfaces and binding data to them, has an open-source free-to-use
> (from
>  > > Adobe) compiler, has a free-open-source IDE (FlashDevelop) from a
> community,
>
> does this run on the XO?
>
> paul

--001636e909e6238e9f04840deab5

That page shows Vyew.com running on Xubuntu on the XO-1.=A0=A0 In my experi=
ence, Vyew.com is &quot;something outstanding for learning<br>
with low barriers of entry and no ceiling&quot; that Martin asked to see bu=
ilt with Flash.=A0 (Stanford University uses Vyew for its=A0<a href=3D"http=
://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=3Dnews_view&a=
mp;newsId=3D20080917005182&amp;newsLang=3Den">Stanford Engineering Everywhe=
re</a> platform, so Stanford agrees that Vyew is worthwhile for a learning/=
teaching platform.)=A0 <br>
remely austere (only the icons and menus you want the student to see), much=
 like Sugar.=A0=A0 The point is that a &quot;no ceiling&quot; application l=
ike Vyew, which is a teaching and learning platform on which creative minds=
 can build interactive educational experiences, can be built in Flash to ru=
n on an XO.=A0 I&#39;m not suggesting that the OLPC developers try to recre=
ate Vyew.=A0 I&#39;m saying that Vyew shows how capable the Flash platform =
is, even using free tools to build and deploy it.<br>
be a dichotomy between people who want to keep the system &quot;pure&quot; =
free-open-source versus others who are more interested in getting something=
 good built even if it incorporates some free but not open source software.=
=A0 I&#39;m a pragmatist.=A0=A0 Until FOSS can provide the tools I need to =
create what I want, I&#39;m not averse to using what I can get now and port=
ing to FOSS later when it catches up.<br>
2 AM, Paul Fox <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pgf at laptop.org">pgf@=
=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
=A0&gt; You can see the Xubuntu system running on our XO-1 at: =A0Internet =
Math<br>
=A0&gt; Tutoring / OLPC Project<br>
p?page=3Dstatic090711-100100" target=3D"_blank">http://internetmathtutoring=
.com/olpc/static.php?page=3Dstatic090711-100100</a>&gt;.<br>
what does this have to do with flash?<br>
=A0&gt;<br>
=A0&gt; On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Stanley Sokolow &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:overbyte at earthlink.net">overbyte at earthlink.net</a>&gt;wrote:<br>
open-source free-to-use (from<br>
=A0&gt; &gt; Adobe) compiler, has a free-open-source IDE (FlashDevelop) fro=
m a community,<br>
paul<br>
laptop.org</a><br>