Sharing files among several XO

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire.fernandes at edu.ge.ch
Wed Oct 28 10:10:43 EDT 2009

2009/10/28 Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <hilaire.fernandes at edu.ge.ch> wrote:
>> 2009/10/28 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>>
>>> Sugar supports direct file transfers between machines, but only from
>>> 0.84. Hilaire said he uses the last stable OLPC release, so he is
>>> using 0.82.
>>
>> And so far, I don't have any avalaible time to test installing the
>> 0.84 on XO. At least there are some bits of information regarding
>> 0.84. I sill have to port back DrGeo to Etoys and improve the
>> scripting programming of DrGeo within Etoys, then start to design
>> learning activities with Etoys/DrGeo projects. Then these learning
>> activities will be shared to student XO.
>>
>> So all in all, is it really the case there are no way to share file
>> between XO through the mesh?
>
> It's possible to share objects directly between 2 XOs (0.84), but

hum, but 0.84 seems to be unsupported by olpc, right? You can imagine
what it could mean when you are in production.
By the way a bit sidetopic, but related to usability, I noted the
buggy behavior of the touchpad is still there. Is it related to a
physical problem which can't be fixed? I am pretty sure my student
will be very easily frustrated with that, and drop any effort after
that.

> there is currently no mechanism, other than activities, for sharing
> with many people at once. A long overdue feature of Sugar is "Groups",

even sharing between 2 xo will be a big step. I am still impressed
such feature was not present since day 1. Was it not part of the sold
package?
I am wondering how it looks like in place where thousand of xo are deployed.

Hilaire

--
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire