NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)
holt at laptop.org
Fri Oct 23 14:38:05 EDT 2009
Sorry for the late start!
Please join us NOW reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects
over IRC Live Chat: (2PM EDT Boston Time Today/Friday)
Then type at bottom:
* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
* Fast Review of the 5 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:
1. FoodForce2 - New Delhi, India
Requests 1-2 XO-1.5 over 3 months
FoodForce2 is both a classroom tool, and an outside classroom
activity. It is a new kind of an educational solution, an “expanded
school” which grows well beyond the walls of the classroom. The game
play has been designed in a way to educate the child about certain key
learning areas. The key learning areas on which the game focuses are:
1. *Strategy*: FoodForce2 is a strategy game in which decision-making
skills of a player have a high significance in determining the
outcome. The Player is suppose to plan and execute a strategy in
such a way that he can make an optimum use of the resources
available with him, so that the village can become
self-sustainable for a long time.
2. *Sustainable Development*: FoodForce2 teaches player to set limits
on the consumption of the present available resources so that they
can be used to address future development issues which are
critical for sustainable development.
3. *Trading*: Economic futures of any world community, particularly
developing world, is affected by their present trading system.
FoodForce2 assist player to integrate into the trade system and
multi-lateral trade negotiations. It develops skills for unbiased,
rule based and nondiscriminatory trading system.
4. *Technology and its use*: Technology involves the usage of tools
which affects and controls the environment, and the ability to
adapt to it. The basic lifestyle in every aspect of our daily
lives, the kind of housings, our transport, medical facilities,
fashion and entertainment all depend on technology. FoodForce2
demonstrates the effect of using technology in the development of
various facilities like hospitals, housing facilities, education
and training. It teaches player about the importance of technology
5. *Crisis Management*: A crisis is a major, unpredictable event that
harms human communities and is accompanied by widespread
malnutrition, starvation, epidemic and increased mortality. Crisis
management consisting of understanding, and coping with any
serious situation, especially from the moment it first occurs to
the point that recovery procedures start. FoodForce2 teaches
crisis management by redesigning the village affected by natural
calamities. In the game choices available to players are
constrained by economic, social, and physical realities of life in
a village. And their actions are highly structured by the
practices of urban planning
6. *Collaboration*: Collaboration is a recursive process where
different organizations work together for common goal by sharing
knowledge, learning and building consensus. FoodForce2 demonstrate
that a community is not supposed to be building in a closed
environment. Players should be free to interact with the outside
environment i.e. the other villages, which are being developed by
2. Playing, it`s serious - Kuujjuaq (Quebec) CANADA
[SITE MISSING - NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
Requests 2 XOs over 2 months
We would like to put your laptop in the daycare
for the older group (4-5 years old) because we have a lack in
stimulation for kids, educators don`t know how to motivate. We think is
a good tool for education, stimulation, to find ideas for activities.....
3. OLPC on Puppy Linux - Bogotá, Colombia
[DIRECT SITE MISSING - NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
Requests 1 XO over 12 months
The Primary objetive is develop a Puppy Linux Educational derivative,
specially builded to run in the XO hardware.
- Create a Puppy Linux distribution Extremely friendly, with easy to
- Create a Puppy Linux distribution with a good pack of educative
- Deploy a good repository of Linux learning documents.
- Develop a small, fast and easy to learn Linux distribution for XO
- Distibute Pupy Linux for OLPC freely.
4. Kenya OLPC Mathematics: request for more laptops
Requests 7 XOs over 6 months
The primary goal of this project is to develop a project that will
aid teachers in Kenyan Primary Schools teach the basic concepts of
Mathematics in sync with the Kenyan Primary School syllabus using
the XO laptop. The specific objectives of this project are:
1. To improve the ability of children to memorise and enhance the
use of the basic Mathematical operations, that is +, -, ÷ and ×
using the XO laptop applications.
2. To improve children's ability and understanding of the measurement
and calculation of area, circumference and perimeter of
2-dimensional figures and the Surface Area and Volume of
3-dimansional objects with the aid of the XO laptop.
3. To aid the children in the proper understanding of the topics of
ratios, percentages and proportions according to the Kenyan
Primary School syllabus.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Devel