NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at
Fri Oct 30 14:10:52 EDT 2009

Please join us NOW reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects
over IRC Live Chat:  (2PM EDT Boston Time Today/Friday)

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!

* Fast Review of the 2 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

1. Deploy Laptops to Mafi Dove, Ghana in early January 2010 - Ghana &
Massachusetts, USA [NEEDS A LINK FROM ]

   Requests 4 XOs over 2-4 months

   Project Objectives:
   1) Make computers available to middle school,
   and eventually primary school, students in Mafi Dove, Ghana. Develop
   sustainable teacher training and support plan. Assist in integrating
   computers into the school’s education plan. Initial deployment would
   outfit a “lab” with around 10 laptops and provide laptops to relevant
   teachers, with a few backup units in case of failure. Depending on your
   recommendation, we could also outfit a classroom in addition to the
   “lab”; this would require an additional 20 units.
   2) Determine next
   steps when we visit, namely how and when to expand to all students in
   Mafi Dove (would involve perhaps 200 units)? How to provide training and
   tech support on an ongoing basis? What are the indigenous resources in
   Ghana? What can we do versus what needs to be done by OLPC or other
   agencies? How and when should we provide Internet access (this first
   visit will not attempt that)?
   3) Get a sense of how this could
   eventually expand to more villages in the area, and involve students
   from UMass as an ongoing service-learning course.
   Note: We 5 are leaders of a small Episcopal church in Ashfield, MA
   (except Nell, who is Susan’s daughter and our person very experienced
   with the village and area). This is not an evangelism project, but
   strictly mission/service to the children and families of this rural

2. SocialCalc, Newspaper activity, Deducto, Video Chat Activity, Itunes
for e-books - New Delhi, India

   Requests 3 XO-1.5'ss over 6.5 months

   Project Objectives:
   1. SocialCalc, the community spreadsheet - and

   2. Newspaper activity for the future journalists - We are undertaking
   project with OLPC Corps Indiana University, who did a pilot this
summer in
   South Africa (, and are
   helping us gather ideas and scenarios on the pedagogical front at this

   3. Deducto, activity to improve deducing logic skills - and

   4. Color Deducto, activity to teach color schemes, systems and patterns
   through pattern recognition - and

   5. Video Chat Activity - (Video Chat
   does not work on Sugar 0.84. I have hired 2 developers, who would be
   on this project starting next week).

   6. Itunes for e-books - We are working on this project with Kovid Goyal -