F11 wired vs. jabber

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Oct 22 21:09:39 EDT 2009

Hi Mikus,

On 22 Oct 2009, at 18:52, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

> I don't have wireless (i.e., no AP), but use a local ethernet LAN.
> When I boot a F11 system, usually Neighborhood View shows me the
> (running) XOs connected to my ethernet.  But sometimes what I see is
> the XOs connected to the Jabber server I have defined.  To reach
> that Jabber server, the connection has to go over the ethernet,
> through a proxy (I had to tell telepathy that the proxy exists), and
> then over the internet.  [I am leaving the Jabber server name in 'My
> Settings' -- I am not adding/removing it dynamically.]
>
> Which set of XOs I get to see seems to be random.  [Still happens
> that way both on XO-1 and on XO-1.5.]  Any ideas on how, with my
> setup, I could "favor" seeing jabber over seeing wired ?

Not that this helps, but Salut (local network) is the fallback when
Gabble (remote jabber server) fails, so if you have a jabber server
set, and it intermittently shows you remote vs. loca buddiesl, then
the jabber connection is intermittently failing. If a jabber server is
specified Gabble attempts to connect from time to time (not sure where
the actual code is but it feels like 5-10min to me).

So (for whatever reason) sounds like Gabble isn't able to hold up the
connection to the Jabber server, or the Jabber server you have set is
flakey (FWIW: jabber.sugarlabs.org has been ropey as hell for me
lately, I switched my collaboration testing to Salute some weeks back
so I could have more Sugar testing control and less random remote
server failures/issues).

Regards,
--Gary