XO-1 Build 802 doesn't turn off speaker amplifier

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 18:00:29 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've noticed a while now that there's an off  switch for the external
amplifier of the audio codec(?) that can be turned off by using
alsamixer. Sugar by default doesn't turn the amplifier off when the
sound is muted, which results in a slight hum coming from the speakers
all the time. I haven't measured power consumption but I would say
that the speakers are using some extra miliwatts they wouldn't
otherwise. As anyone ever measured this?

Tiago Marques