[Sugar-devel] testers wanted: grab keys, and touchpad rotation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 4 18:15:11 EST 2009

On 04.03.2009, at 23:49, pgf at laptop.org wrote:

> bert wrote:
>>
>> Just tried it on my XO at build 800 - works like a charm, both the
>> scrolling and rotation. Yay!
>
> great!
>

>> The only nit I have to pick is the inverted direction of scrolling.
>> With both a scroll-wheel and my MacBook's "two-finger" scroll, moving
>> down does scroll down. I understand about the grab metaphor implied
>> by
>> the key caps, but since we're not actually grabbing but scrolling,
>> IMHO it should scroll the other way.
>
> if you edit /etc/events.d/olpc-kbdshim and add a "-r" to the
> olpc-kbdshim invocation line, you can try that behavior to see
> how you like it.
>
> edit, then:
>    initctl stop olpc-kbdshim
>    initctl start olpc-kbdshim
>
> others should weigh in on this.  you'll remember that it was the
> big question i raised last week.  i think i agree with you

I like that better. Muscle-memory, you know. I just caught myself
unconsciously using two fingers to scroll on the XO - works fine ;)

I am using my MacBook's two-finger scroll in Sugar on VMWare, too.
Having the same orientation would ensure the same behavior on non-XO
hardware as on the XO.

> , but i also think it's hard to put oneself in the shoes of a user who
> has never used a scrollbar before.

When I first learned to fly by stick I was surprised that the machine
goes up when you move the stick "down" (pull towards me). But after a
while it feels natural.

I don't think there is an intrinsic advantage to one or the other. It
would be different if it was actually grabbing the "page", but then
the pointer should definitely move with the page.

- Bert -