What to expect from developers, are there any left?

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Mon Mar 2 11:34:00 EST 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>> What would you do if you ran Ubuntu on your main computer but some of
>> the buttons on your keyboard were not working correctly? You would
>> file a bug with Ubuntu, who would hopefully either fix the problem on
>> their own back, or help you to report the issue to the developers of
>> the related package (which would likely be one of the X.org input
>> components, in the case of keyboard troubles).
>>
>> The same applies here -- install a distro on your XO and report bugs
>> to the distributor. I recommend Fedora through Chris's rawhide-xo
>> builds, bugzilla.redhat.com, and the fedora-olpc list.

I would also file a bug with the hardware supplier, in this case OLPC.

now it turns out that this problem has mostly been solved at this point,
but the fixes have not made it to all the distros (look at the file that
debxo has created for example)

there is already a fedora bug for this, and has been for many months.

> Speaking for myself, if it was Ubuntu I wanted to run -- I would not
>  choose the XO as the platform -- I would choose something more
> powerful, even if it cost more than $200 USD.
>
> I __have__ installed a distro (let's call it "OLPC") on my XO, which
> provides goodies (such as a reasonably working OHM in Joyride) that
> other currently available distros don't.
>
> The advice given above ("install a distro") seems to say:  "What you
> have now - throw it out !!".  Thanks.
>
> mikus

except that it has been announced that the OLPC distro is not going to be
developed further, and that the future is to use these other distros, so
throwing them out and sticking wth the 'OLPC' distro is burying your head
in the sand and ignoreing the fact that you need to be able to run those
other distros in the near future.

David Lang