What to expect from developers, are there any left?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Mar 2 13:01:07 EST 2009

2009/3/2  <pgf at laptop.org>:
> assuming we can do that (and i'm confident we can), the next step
> is to take a set of fedora rpms, mostly generic, some
> XO-specific, and create a distribution.  what's opaque to me,
> currently, is:
>    - who will do this
>    - how often
>    - what set of packages will be included
>    - what the process will be for changing that set of packages
>
> OLPC has spoken pretty clearly (with deeds, if not words -- words
> have never been OLPC's strong point ;-) that it won't be doing s/w
> releases or distributions.  so who will?

My understanding:
The distributions will.  They already have development teams, release
cycles, release engineering teams, etc. This is why the idea fits
current-day OLPC very well, as OLPC no longer has the resources to do
those things.

As for packaging, at least for Fedora I guess that a group such as the
OLPC-SIG would make the package decisions and processes. And ideally
we'll want that streamlined and well documented so that deployments
can make their own customizations.

Daniel