XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Jun 3 17:08:07 EDT 2009

peter wrote:
 > >> I tried to summarize the issues here:
 > >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bootanim
 > >>
 > >> is there more I should address?  how would you avoid using
 > >> VT_WAITACTIVE?  I have some free time, so I can try to fix these over
 > >> the next few days.
 > >
 > > In similar fashion to this:
 > >
 > http://www.brontes3d.com/opensource/dist/v1.2/overlay/sys-apps/kbd/files/kbd-1.1
 > 2-chvt-userwait.patch
 > >
 > > In other words.. use VT_GETSTATE to check the current active console,
 > > in a loop, calling VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
 > >
 > > Not a great solution, but I think we should put it in place and see if
 > > it kills this bug. The real solution needs kernel help, and I think
 > > the kernel developers would say "lets pencil this in for when we move
 > > the console layer into userspace" which is a slow moving effort.
 >
 > I have a test of the olpc animation running on plymouth that I've been
 > working on with the plymouth devs. Its working fine on my eeepc and
 > dell laptop. I'm not sure if the bootanim does anything other than
 > pretty pictures. No good for XO 8.2.x I know but possibly useful for
 > F11 side of things.

hi peter --

bootanim does both the boot-time animation and the shutdown
ul-warning screen.  it does the boot animation in an extremely
efficient manner, shaving 10 or 11 seconds off our current boot
times:

    http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-March/023688.html

given the optimization that bobby and mitch put in, i suspect
plymouth won't match it, time-wise.  (though i'd love to be proven
wrong, of course!)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org