XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 16:29:11 EDT 2009

>> I tried to summarize the issues here:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bootanim
>>
>> is there more I should address?  how would you avoid using
>> VT_WAITACTIVE?  I have some free time, so I can try to fix these over
>> the next few days.
>
> In similar fashion to this:
> http://www.brontes3d.com/opensource/dist/v1.2/overlay/sys-apps/kbd/files/kbd-1.12-chvt-userwait.patch
>
> In other words.. use VT_GETSTATE to check the current active console,
> in a loop, calling VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
>
> Not a great solution, but I think we should put it in place and see if
> it kills this bug. The real solution needs kernel help, and I think
> the kernel developers would say "lets pencil this in for when we move
> the console layer into userspace" which is a slow moving effort.

I have a test of the olpc animation running on plymouth that I've been
working on with the plymouth devs. Its working fine on my eeepc and
dell laptop. I'm not sure if the bootanim does anything other than
pretty pictures. No good for XO 8.2.x I know but possibly useful for
F11 side of things.

Peter