XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:06:10 EDT 2009

>  > >> I tried to summarize the issues here:
>  > >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bootanim
>  > >>
>  > >> is there more I should address?  how would you avoid using
>  > >> VT_WAITACTIVE?  I have some free time, so I can try to fix these over
>  > >> the next few days.
>  > >
>  > > In similar fashion to this:
>  > >
>  > http://www.brontes3d.com/opensource/dist/v1.2/overlay/sys-apps/kbd/files/kbd-1.1
>  > 2-chvt-userwait.patch
>  > >
>  > > In other words.. use VT_GETSTATE to check the current active console,
>  > > in a loop, calling VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
>  > >
>  > > Not a great solution, but I think we should put it in place and see if
>  > > it kills this bug. The real solution needs kernel help, and I think
>  > > the kernel developers would say "lets pencil this in for when we move
>  > > the console layer into userspace" which is a slow moving effort.
>  >
>  > I have a test of the olpc animation running on plymouth that I've been
>  > working on with the plymouth devs. Its working fine on my eeepc and
>  > dell laptop. I'm not sure if the bootanim does anything other than
>  > pretty pictures. No good for XO 8.2.x I know but possibly useful for
>  > F11 side of things.
>
> hi peter --
>
> bootanim does both the boot-time animation and the shutdown
> ul-warning screen.  it does the boot animation in an extremely
> efficient manner, shaving 10 or 11 seconds off our current boot
> times:

10 or 11 seconds off what? the previous bootanim version? text based
startup without it?

>    http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-March/023688.html
>
> given the optimization that bobby and mitch put in, i suspect
> plymouth won't match it, time-wise.  (though i'd love to be proven
> wrong, of course!)

I wouldn't know off the top of my head but plymouth was designed to do
two things. Firstly a smooth startup with basically no flash from the
bios (on a standard PC) through to X, and speed. the old rhgb was
slow. Would be interesting to see a comparison.

Peter