hyperactivity...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:08:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> > Are there any specific instructions on using hyperactivity
> > (http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/daf/hyperactivity/) other than what's
> > in the README? We plan on load testing a new school server
> > specifically on the ejabberd side of things.
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_resource_tests
>
> Those are Douglas' notes. There may be additional notes in the
> server-devel archives...

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions

So, I've tried using hyperactivity a few different ways.

Case 1: XOs are in mesh. olpc-netstatus says Telepathy is using salut.
Running 'python hyperactivity.py salut 10 30' shows a bunch of XOs in the
neighborhood and shows activity in the terminal about creating tubes,
creating activities etc.

Case 2: XOs are connected to a school server and olpc-netstatus says
Telepathy is using gabble. Running 'python hyperactivity.py gabble
schoolserver.augusttown.uwimona.edu.jm 10 30' creates 10 accounts, but keeps
saying that could not connect and it needs to remove an account. Then it
gets stuck in some from of a loop and keeps spewing error messages.

The other thing that's not clear from the readme is how to create a new
gabble session. From the readme:

==========

It's generally a good idea to run a new Gabble/Salut instance with
hyperactivity.

In a first console launch:
$ eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`

Then get the address of the new bus
$ env | grep DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-CDaCEn20fa,guid=e7699135806075af71752500479f1a86

You can now launch Gabble or Salut in this console.

In a second console, define the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable before
launch hyperactivity.
$ export
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-CDaCEn20fa,guid=e7699135806075af71752500479f1a86

=========

I'm not sure how one launches Gabble or Salut in the console.
Clarifications much appreciated. Will put up a wiki page once I figure it
out.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.