hyperactivity...

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jul 19 14:13:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 20:08, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> > Are there any specific instructions on using hyperactivity
>> > (http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/daf/hyperactivity/) other than what's
>> > in the README? We plan on load testing a new school server
>> > specifically on the ejabberd side of things.
>> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_resource_tests
>>
>> Those are Douglas' notes. There may be additional notes in the
>> server-devel archives...

>> --
>>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>>  - ask interesting questions
>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
>
> So, I've tried using hyperactivity a few different ways.
>
> Case 1: XOs are in mesh. olpc-netstatus says Telepathy is using salut.
> Running 'python hyperactivity.py salut 10 30' shows a bunch of XOs in the
> neighborhood and shows activity in the terminal about creating tubes,
> creating activities etc.
>
> Case 2: XOs are connected to a school server and olpc-netstatus says
> Telepathy is using gabble. Running 'python hyperactivity.py gabble
> schoolserver.augusttown.uwimona.edu.jm 10 30' creates 10 accounts, but keeps
> saying that could not connect and it needs to remove an account. Then it
> gets stuck in some from of a loop and keeps spewing error messages.

Maybe the server needs {registration_timeout, infinity} as says the
README? Founds some more info here:

http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/guide_en#modregister

> The other thing that's not clear from the readme is how to create a new
> gabble session. From the readme:
>
> ==========
>
> It's generally a good idea to run a new Gabble/Salut instance with
> hyperactivity.
>
> In a first console launch:
> $ eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
>
> Then get the address of the new bus
> $ env | grep DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-CDaCEn20fa,guid=e7699135806075af71752500479f1a86
>
> You can now launch Gabble or Salut in this console.
>

> In a second console, define the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable before
> launch hyperactivity.
> $ export
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-CDaCEn20fa,guid=e7699135806075af71752500479f1a86
>
> =========
>
> I'm not sure how one launches Gabble or Salut in the console.
> Clarifications much appreciated. Will put up a wiki page once I figure it
> out.

Just execute /usr/libexec/telepathy-salut in a terminal activity.

Could you blog about the results and/or send email to IAEP? I think
people there will be interested.

Thanks,

Tomeu