Performance hit while working with screen depth 16

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 13 15:28:27 EDT 2009

shivaprasad javali wrote:
> My original question still remains unanswered. Is it acceptable for my
> activity to change the screen depth to increase its performance?

Acceptable to whom?

It's probably not acceptable to the hundreds of thousands of children who
currently have XOs running Sugar, because the Rainbow system will prevent
your activity from editing xorg.conf.  In fact, because the users in
Uruguay have been denied root access, they cannot change the screen depth
at all.

On the other hand, if this is for private deployment under your control,
then it's perfectly acceptable.

--Ben