Performance hit while working with screen depth 16

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 13 08:35:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 03:59:40PM +0530, shivaprasad javali wrote:
> My original question still remains unanswered. Is it acceptable for my activity
> to change the screen depth to increase its performance?

Doing so will increase memory consumption ... and like any change in
footprint you have to decide whether the increase in that cost is worth
it ... what does the user lose by giving away that memory?

Otherwise, like others, I'm a bit confused as whom you mean it would be
unacceptable to.  It's not like we can have any direct input into an
activity we cannot see.

> Which would be really painful for me to do:( )

Think of the risks ... after setting the X server into this mode, will
everything else work normally, and how are you testing that?  The last
thing you'd want is for your activity to be either (a) unable to share
resources with other activities, or (b) cause other activities to fail
because you have changed the environment.

I looked at the script, but the build I'm using doesn't have an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, so I don't think it can work ... the mv would
fail.  What operating system build are you using?