New kernel branch for XO-1 and XO-1.5 development

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jul 10 06:22:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 11:12 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> I discussed at Fudcon with Sebastian, Scott etc about resurrecting the
> Sugar Spin in Fedora which would allow us to have automated builds and
> make use of the new autoqa stuff. I can assist in this stuff as well
> if you like although at the moment I don't know how the laptop.org
> build stuff works or have access.

I'd say that a "Sugar spin" isn't what you want here -- a Sugar spin
should aim to be generic and be useful for more widespread testing of
Sugar.

For the XO, at this point, we still need special customization,
including the kernel, some out-of-tree deployment technologies, etc. We
also want it as slim as possible, and just with a few lines in a
kickstart file you can do a lot better than a standard fedora install.

The builds we're doing are just kickstart wrapped in a makefile and
another script to turn a .iso into an appropriate image format.
All the code is here:
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/fedora-xo/

The xo-1.5 branch is where we're working. xo-1 is where I did a backport
a few weeks ago. master is unused. The task at hand is simply syncing
all changes from xo-1.5 to xo-1 on a continual basis, running "make
foo.img", publishing foo.img, and trying to act on user feedback as much
as possible.
(right now you will have to build and set up your own kernel repo for
XO-1, but hopefully chris will have that automated soon:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9402)

Daniel