New kernel branch for XO-1 and XO-1.5 development

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 06:12:12 EDT 2009

>> > plus, no immediate release for the
>> > XO-1 is even on the drawing board.
>>
>> D'oh! I would have thought OLPC deployments would want one software
>> release for XO-1 and XO-1.5. Is a single image simply impossible for
>> technical reasons -- different firmware, different NAND flash
>> capacity, different file systems?
>
> Yes, impossible.
>
>> I understand OLPC has extremely limited resources.  Maybe you could
>> provide the raw materials for builds together with scripts that let
>> more expert users turn them into what they need.  Given the XO-1.5
>> packages, an XO-1 kernel, the geode driver, the build scripts and a
>> ton more l33t skillz would I be able to make my own XO-1 image?
>
> Everything is in the fedora-xo git repository in the xo-1.5 branch. I
> recently backported all of my XO-1.5 work to XO-1 (the kickstart changes
> really are only the handful that you mention) and it only took about an
> hour.
>
> I am looking to find some community members to do this as an ongoing
> process and publish the resultant builds. Adam found a couple of
> interested people but they have not yet made an appearance.

I discussed at Fudcon with Sebastian, Scott etc about resurrecting the
Sugar Spin in Fedora which would allow us to have automated builds and
make use of the new autoqa stuff. I can assist in this stuff as well
if you like although at the moment I don't know how the laptop.org
build stuff works or have access.

Peter