Notes from an impromptu 8.2.1 Release Mtg.

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Jan 26 18:16:48 EST 2009

Hal Murray wrote:
>> Right now e28 is what you should be testing.  When the next f series
>> release comes out (RSN) then that will be the new series going
>> forward.
>
> I just ran a half-dozen Restart cycles with e28.
>
> None of them connected automatically.  All of them connected when I poked
> Connect.  (One may have taken a second try.)
>
> I can see my icon blinking when the automatic stuff tries to connect.

Thats expected. You should not see any behavior change in the wlan by
changing the system firmware.

The copy of the wlan firmware in the laptop system firmware is
completely different than the copy of the wlan firmware that is in the
OS build.

The system firmware has zero influence on how the wlan device operates
wrt to association.  The only area where they interact at all is during
suspend/resume and if you put the wlan into reset.

Its confusing since there are 3 different "firmwares" on the XO and the
wlan is duplicated in both the system firmware and the build.  Often the
wlan firmware in the system firmware is a different version than whats
in the build.  The build will normally be the latest with the copy in
the system firmware getting upgraded as necessary.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child