OS/X11 support for XO-1 hardware?

Chris Marshall jns-cmarshall at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 21:21:29 EST 2009

With the spin-off of Sugar development to sugarlabs,
it is nice to see the development continued.

However, it seems that the OLPC layoffs and refocus
has scuttled the work to complete some OS and system
software support for the XO-1 hardware features.

For example, I have been waiting for the video scaler
support to allow for adjustable display resolutions on
the XO.  Among other things, it would allow programs
that don't understand a 1200x900 but only 6x4" display
to work at a more usable resolution where the graphic
elements and text/fonts are consistent and visible to
the naked eye...  It would allow for much improved
video performance since you could play back a 320x240
video on the full screen at considerable CPU savings.

I had thought this capability would be coming with
the Fedora 10 move in 9.1.0.  With that release now
scuttled, I'm wondering more generally, are these
pieces being picked up anywhere?

Would it make sense to have an 8.2.2 release involving
the move to Fedora 10 but pretty much the same as
8.2.1 otherwise?

--Chris