[OLPC-devel] Re: boot OLPC laptop from USB flash drive?

Crapgame99 porksoda76 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:10:36 EST 2009

Richard A. Smith-2 wrote:

> On 8/19/06, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > OLPC guys -- this transition is important enough that I think it should
>> > be on the front page -- I can't find it.
>> >
>> > Zach -- you have to make the change, so let's see if we can help you.
>>
>> Zach,
>>
>> If you don't mind being an Alpha tester I have have put together a
>> bootstrap procedure for moving from Insyde BIOS to LinuxBIOS.
>
> 2 Issues with my last post:
>
> 1. I failed to attach my tarball to the last post.  Which is probably
> a good thing I'm not if the list will be crasy over a 3 meg
> attachemnt.
>
> 2. It was brought to my attention that it was really too complicated.
> Therefore I've created a 5 meg dd copy that you can just dd out to
> your USB disk.  Its comes complete with a copy of linuxbios.rom.
> All you do is:
>
> bzip2 -d bootstrap.img.bz2
> dd if=bootstrap.img of=/dev/sda
>
> The stick it in the OLPC and boot.  Once booted:
> mkdir /key
> mount /dev/sda1 /key
> cd /key
> olpcflash -w linuxbios.rom
> olpcflash -v linuxbios.rom
>
> I just don't have any where to put my 'bootstrap.img.bz2' It's 4 MiB.
>
> Zach I'll send it to you directly.
>
> --
> Richard A. Smith

Richard I read your post and it seems that your bootstrap.img.bz2 is the
answer I have been looking for.
I have an OLPC and it has the Insyde BIOS on it and I would like to go back
to the OLPC firmware.
Could you sned me the bootstrap.img.bz2 so I can flash over the Insyde BIOS
and then install the latest OLPC firmware (along with the G1G1 Sugar and
Activities)
Thank yoiu very much
Crapgame