OLPC upgrades

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 09:10:12 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/2/8 Tiago Marques <tiagomnm at gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> > <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> (as
> >>
> >> I'm not happy to simply take this as "fact".  It's either a measurement
> or
> >> an opinion.
> >
> > It's a fact. I have installed xfce in NAND together with Sugar and I'm
> > running Opera with four tabs(one with the heavy gmail) and terminal -
> using
> > 136MiB and no swap. Opera seems to leak memory though, it was only of
> 120MiB
>
> Tiago,
>
> go slower, read Ben's email - he is talking about "snappyness" and you
> are talking about memory.
>
> Memory usage _is_ important, but Ben was talking about... speed.

I know Ben was talking about speed, I wanted to give some figures of memory
consumption compared to other desktop environments, since it's probably a
worse problem than speed. IMHO, it is.

> >> Blaming Python for our user-experience speed problems is not scientific,
> >> and it's not helpful.  Have you found some critical piece of code that
> you
> >> can rewrite in C for speed?  We'd love that.
> >
> > Would that be welcome?
>
> Yes. And you don't need to write things from scratch - reusing or
> adapting existing window managers for example would be a win. We want
> to retain the Sugar experience though.

Ok. Of course, it must be retained.

> The last 3 months have seen quite a bit of discussion on this list. Do
> pay a visit to the archives...

Ok. Will do.
Best regards,
                          Tiago Marques