OLPC upgrades

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 04:00:29 EST 2009

2009/2/8 Tiago Marques <tiagomnm at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>> david at lang.hm wrote:
>> > the fact that KDE and GNOME (both desktops that are considered pigs on
>> > normal machines) make a XO laptop seem snappy by comparison to Sugar (as
>> > of December) means that there is a significant problem with Sugar.
>>
>> I'm not happy to simply take this as "fact".  It's either a measurement or
>> an opinion.
>
> It's a fact. I have installed xfce in NAND together with Sugar and I'm
> running Opera with four tabs(one with the heavy gmail) and terminal - using
> 136MiB and no swap. Opera seems to leak memory though, it was only of 120MiB

Tiago,

go slower, read Ben's email - he is talking about "snappyness" and you
are talking about memory.

Memory usage _is_ important, but Ben was talking about... speed.

>> Blaming Python for our user-experience speed problems is not scientific,
>> and it's not helpful.  Have you found some critical piece of code that you
>> can rewrite in C for speed?  We'd love that.
>
> Would that be welcome?

Yes. And you don't need to write things from scratch - reusing or
adapting existing window managers for example would be a win. We want
to retain the Sugar experience though.

The last 3 months have seen quite a bit of discussion on this list. Do
pay a visit to the archives...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions