Android, OLPC, and native hosting

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:31:10 EST 2009

NoiseEHC, I think your arguments would be more convincing if you
didn't respond to every email, especially when you'd made that point
before in the same thread :-)

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:40 AM, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:

>> The software is designed for learning. *That* is what Sugar was created for, which is not at all what Android was created for, as you claimed when starting this discussion.
>>

> Another Straw Man argument. What I said was "Android OS solves exactly
> the same *problems* Sugar has been created to solve". You know while you
> have noticed correctly that Android was created to be a phone OS and
> Sugar was created to be a learning OS (not too that hard to notice
> though), they had almost the same *problems* to solve. Because they had
> different goals they did not solve exactly the same problem set (it was
> an exaggeration in my sentence) but close (self hosting dev tools and
> local communication are the main differences).

That said, I find Noise's line of reasoning here compelling.   What
are specific features of the current Sugar experience that people
think would be hard to port to Android [porting Etoys might in fact be
hard]?

SJ