Android, OLPC, and native hosting

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 05:02:19 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:47 AM, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:
> For the other people talking about IDEs: an usable IDE is not a text
> editor.

Of course. What I do (and most other productive programmers I know do)
is use the window manager (gnome, kde, awesome...), xterms, a
webbrowser, etc, to make a "LIDE": loosely integrated dev environment.

I've led various large programming teams -- all the top-quality and
top-productivity programmers had long since abandoned Eclipse and
similar TIDEs (tightly integrated DE).

I've used varios TIDEs over the last 10 years, Eclipse one of them.
They have all been inferior to the gnome/emacs/xterms/gitk setup I use
now.

> world records on the c64

I started on the C64 too, and you'll find others on this list have
similar and deeper chops than that. The point stands, however, TIDEs
are not needed, and in many many cases not optimal. You may try to
call them a valid stepping-stone in the learning, but you will need to
bring some solid proof.

BTW, when I program for the XO, I do it on an XO, with additional rpms
(git, emacs...). My only "cheat" is that I use an external keyboard.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions