Android, OLPC, and native hosting

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Tue Dec 29 06:40:14 EST 2009

> Are you aware the XO ships a full Smalltalk IDE? You know, like VisualAge which later became Eclipse? It's "hidden" in the Etoys activity, but (surprise!) it's a kids laptop.

Because someone will break your arms if you port Etoys to Android. Now I
understand.

> The software is designed for learning. *That* is what Sugar was created for, which is not at all what Android was created for, as you claimed when starting this discussion.

Another Straw Man argument. What I said was "Android OS solves exactly
the same *problems* Sugar has been created to solve". You know while you
have noticed correctly that Android was created to be a phone OS and
Sugar was created to be a learning OS (not too that hard to notice
though), they had almost the same *problems* to solve. Because they had
different goals they did not solve exactly the same problem set (it was
an exaggeration in my sentence) but close (self hosting dev tools and
local communication are the main differences).