Android, OLPC, and native hosting

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 28 20:29:11 EST 2009

On 29.12.2009, at 01:47, NoiseEHC wrote:

>> Ahem.   With XO-1.5, I feel that I AM shipping a "full-fledged Linux
>> PC" to every child.
>> Since when did it take more than a GB of RAM and 4GB of disk to host
>> an IDE ?
>>
>> My point still stands: until Android supports its own development
>> tools, you are
>> turning it's users into second class citizens.
> Ahem. So you have installed Eclipse under Sugar and somehow developed
> and debugged a Sugar application what is nice... Wait! You did not!
>
> So if we just ignore your Straw Man argument (you know what I have said
> that you need GBs or RAM to run the dx optimizer tool, not the IDE), the
> problem is still there that you only can run an usable development
> environment on a full Linux distro and you cannot even develop Sugar
> applications with it.
>
> For the other people talking about IDEs: an usable IDE is not a text
> editor. The whole problem stems from the simple fact that you think that
> an IDE is just a text editor. While it is possible to develop
> applications even with ed (I used mcedit myself), I would rather poke my
> eyes out than to try to develop anything with Pippy again. What you do
> not want to recognize is that you are excluding a lot of developers who
> do not want to waste their time because of the lack of IDEs. In other
> words: because of resource constraints you have not made contributing
> code easy so you have resource constraints now.

Are you aware the XO ships a full Smalltalk IDE? You know, like VisualAge which later became Eclipse? It's "hidden" in the Etoys activity, but (surprise!) it's a kids laptop. The software is designed for learning. *That* is what Sugar was created for, which is not at all what Android was created for, as you claimed when starting this discussion.

- Bert -