Android, OLPC, and native hosting

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Dec 28 13:53:30 EST 2009

martin wrote:
 > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > j/k. ;-)
 >
 > emacs is what I am using on both XO-1 and XO-1.5 so pretty good going
 > ;-) (Along with vim! Peace!)
 >
 > Lots of people here want to claim we need Eclipse to have an "IDE". Of
 > all the developers involved in the whole Linux
 > kernel+Fedora+Sugar+OLPC custom bits, the incidence of Eclipse usage
 > is  vanishingly small.
 >
 > You don't need Eclipse to create this software stack, and it is
 > clearly not particularly desirable or ideal for most of the developers
 > that actually built it.

sure.  but it's not the current developers that are at issue -- they're
almost by definition happy with the tools at hand.  (did i really
just say that?  where's my 3D data structure visualizer when i
need it??)  it's the ability of kids to explore and learn about
programming that we're talking about.  never having used
eclipse, i can't say its suitable.  but it has to be more
discoverable than vi, id-utils, and gdb.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org