Fwd: 8.2.2 Beta-1 test request

milan zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:15:09 EST 2009

(forwarded, sorry I replied to author not list)

Hi,

Is this a request to test on XO1 only? Assuming the instructions are
still here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Clean-install_procedure

I have some questions inline about the things you are pointing out to test:

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note! We are also testing the XO-1.5 builds, and hoping to make a
> release Real Soon Now. If you have XO-1.5 hardware, help us test the
> 1.5 builds. On the other hand, if you have XO-1s to test, I need help
> with...
>
> The build is '802B1' -- find it at:
>
>    http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/
>
> Filing bugs -- the bugs related to this release are tagged with
> milestone '8.2.2'. Please set that milestone in any new bug you file,
> or add your notes to the existing bugs:
> http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&order=status&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=8.2.2
>
> What's new?
>
> =Touchpad=
>
> The build has a rebuilt kernel with new touchpad drivers, and some
> configuration tweaks. This is for both old 'ALPS' touchpads and new
> 'Synaptics' touchpads. (Do mention which one you have!)

How can I tell?

> With these changes, the touchpads should move a little bit slower,
> have a bit more precision, and be a lot less 'jumpy'. In fact, when
> they data gets jumpy, the driver ignores the data instead of jumping
> wildly.
>
> Is the kangaroo mode gone? Is it more usable now? Are other effects creeping in?

What is Kangaroo mode - do you mean a jumpy cursor ?

> Comparison test drawing spirals:
>
>  - Grab 2 XOs with the same touchpad type, load the old stable 802 on
> one,

ok

> and my test build (802B1) on the other. If you only have one XO,
> try one OS after the other...
>
>  - Open Paint and draw spirals
>
>    1) try to keep it reasonably tight
>    2) stop if you collide or get sloppy
>    3) count the number of cycles
>    4) try again N times
>    5) use the average cycles as a measure
>
> Related
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9775
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9773
>

> = Kernel =
>
> The kernel rebuild may have caused other issues. Any problems with
> suspend/resume, wireless, freezes, I want to hear about them.
>
> = Wireless: Associating to Access Points and debugging =
>
> Fixed a bug where NetworkManager would -- in a % of connections -- not
> realise that the process had succeeded. Side by side, 802B1 should
> connect successfully to an AP more often.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8104
>
> And now if you `touch /etc/NetworkManager/log-supplicant` and restart.
> That same file is used as the logfile by wpa_supplicant.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9715
>
> = Startup / shutdown =
>
> Two bugs related to the shutdown process have been fixed. Rebooting
> side-by-side, you should see 802B1 shutdown much faster, and never
> hang in the switch to the "ul-warning" screen.
>
> If it ever hangs in the shutdown process, let me know...
>
> = Talk to the XS =
>
> Sugar now connects to gabble immediately after registration, no need
> for a reboot - If you have an XS handy (hint: get the XS-on-XO image
> on an SD card!),

Is XS the school server?

> you can confirm this enhancement.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9726 -
>
> You can run 'olpc-connections' in a terminal to see it switch from one
> to the other right away.
>
> = OS version =
>
> The Sugar Control Panel should report the right version in 'About my
> XO'. And the 'Update' control panel must check for new activities by
> hitting a url ending in /8.2.2 (you might need a packet capture for
> that, or point it to a server you manage, just to see the 404s...).
>
> = Update your Activities? =
>
> The "you must update your activities" dialog on first boot is gone! It
> will only appear after a major upgrade (not a minor one).
>
> To test this, you can: install an older release (756 for example) and
> then use olpc-update --usb to upgrade to 802B1.
>
> = Do the activities work? =
>
> Try out the activities included. Did I break the OS so that any
> activities are failing?

Do you mean test activites after what was done in the above section
(=Update your Activites=), or simply test activities after clean
install of http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/ ?

Thanks,