8.2.2 Beta-1 test request

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 12:03:50 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM, milan zimmermann
<milan.zimmermann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a request to test on XO1 only? Assuming the instructions are
> still here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Clean-install_procedure

Yes, only for XO-1. And yes, that's the right set of instructions -
specifically http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Clean-install_procedure#Development_builds

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Martin Langhoff
>> =Touchpad=
>> The build has a rebuilt kernel with new touchpad drivers, and some
>> configuration tweaks. This is for both old 'ALPS' touchpads and new
>> 'Synaptics' touchpads. (Do mention which one you have!)
> How can I tell?

- The ALPS touchpad extends almost all the width of the XO, and is
divided in 3 sections by lines drawn on the touchpad. Only the middle
section is active. Also - at boot time the laptop will report itself
as "CL1".

- The Synaptics touchpad is about 2/3s of the width of the spacebar of
the XO. It has roughly 4:3 proportions, similar to most touchpads on
other laptops. At boot time, the laptop will report "CL1A".

>> With these changes, the touchpads should move a little bit slower,
>> have a bit more precision, and be a lot less 'jumpy'. In fact, when
>> they data gets jumpy, the driver ignores the data instead of jumping
>> wildly.
>> Is the kangaroo mode gone? Is it more usable now? Are other effects creeping in?
> What is Kangaroo mode - do you mean a jumpy cursor ?

Wildly jumpy cursor. Like a kangaroo.

> Is XS the school server?

Yes -

>> = Do the activities work? =
>> Try out the activities included. Did I break the OS so that any
>> activities are failing?
> Do you mean test activites after what was done in the above section
> (=Update your Activites=), or simply test activities after clean
> install of http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/ ?

Right after the clean install.  If you update activities, and that
grabs newer versions, it'll be interesting to hear whether they work
well (and what versions you've tested).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com