GSM/CDMA Modems support

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 3 18:20:36 EST 2009

>> I think that you also need a driver for the specific device you want to
use.

> In this case that is CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION.

Ah, blush, thanks for the correction...  Sorry for all the clutter.

>From the help info:
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION:

   Say Y here if you have a GSM or CDMA modem that's connected to USB.

   This driver also supports several PCMCIA cards which have a
   built-in OHCI-USB adapter and an internally-connected GSM modem.
   The USB bus on these cards is not accessible externally.

   Supported devices include (some of?) those made by:
   Option, Huawei, Audiovox, Novatel Wireless, or Anydata.

I think I see where I got confused.
  CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is the umbrella.
  CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION is the driver.