[BULK] Re: GPS on XO

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Mon Apr 6 18:19:33 EDT 2009

hal wrote:

 > > i confess i'm not sure who mounts the drive.  i suspect most people
 > > will say "Not a bug".  i should be able to make that work in the
 > > RoadMap activity.  i'll take a look.
 >
 > It really is a bug.  All sorts of command line code gets in trouble if there
 > are spaces in filenames.  I've seen it mentioned so many times on the FPGA
 > newsgroup that it finally sunk in.  Spaces in file/directory names are just
 > asking for troubles.

i suppose.  but if the user named their device that way, i'm not sure they'd
expect it to be mounted in some other way.  and like it or not, unix needs
to (and does) provide tools for navigating pathnames with spaces.

i guess i'd be a lot more worried if the volume name (or whatever
it is that's being used as the device name) could contain a slash
('/') character.  because that would no doubt render the device
unmountable.  someone should try that...

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org