New release8.2 build 764

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:23:03 EDT 2008

Cute, but unlike the IPhone, the XO has always had an above-the-board
mechanism for unlocking machines. You don't need to go to Hong Kong to
get an unlocked machine, just ask for a key. This thread is about how
to make that process more transparent and comprehensible.

-walter

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:28 AM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>>> many people who would be good testers don't consider themselves 'developers'
>>> so would not get them on their own.
>>
>> Why not call it a "tester's key"?  It is principally useful for testing
>> late-breaking versions.
>
> Now that the unfortunately popular iPhone ships with the same centralized-
> control model as the XO, there's a new term for a machine that is under
> the full control of its owner:
>
>  Jailbroken
>
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation or see Jailbreak)
>  "DRM-encumbered devices such as the Xbox, iPhone and iPod Touch have
>  repeatedly been subject to jailbreaks, allowing the execution of
>  arbitrary code ..."
>
> So we could call it a jailbreaking key...
>
>        John

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org