devkeys, prettyboot, and G1G1

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Sep 29 01:45:04 EDT 2008

> Requesting dev keys should not be difficult!  How can we fix that problem?

We could consider shipping the next G1G1 batch with developer keys
already included ("disable-security").

The only reason any G1G1 user would prefer a lockdown laptop is because
it won't do "pretty boot" if it's jailbroken.

That's a bug (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7896), and there's a kludge
circumvention for it (insert "dcon-freeze" as 2nd line of /boot/olpc.fth).
I wonder if it's worth putting something like this into the OS build,
bypassed by a game key or something.  This would give 99% of the effect
of pretty-boot, without the lockdown, for the upcoming G1G1.

	John