devkeys, prettyboot, and G1G1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Sep 30 11:00:40 EDT 2008

On 29 Sep 2008, at 06:45, John Gilmore wrote:

>> Requesting dev keys should not be difficult!  How can we fix that
>> problem?
>
> We could consider shipping the next G1G1 batch with developer keys
> already included ("disable-security").
>
> The only reason any G1G1 user would prefer a lockdown laptop is
> because
> it won't do "pretty boot" if it's jailbroken.
>
> That's a bug (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7896), and there's a kludge
> circumvention for it (insert "dcon-freeze" as 2nd line of /boot/
> olpc.fth).
> I wonder if it's worth putting something like this into the OS build,
> bypassed by a game key or something.  This would give 99% of the
> effect
> of pretty-boot, without the lockdown, for the upcoming G1G1.

Thanks John. Wow, it is pretty, that's the first time I've ever seen
the boot animation :-) I've had a few folks take sharp intakes of
breath at boot before, and had to explain that they were looking at a
development build XO – not what kids would usually see – though
screeds of boot text seems to scare adults more than kids.

Think I'll leave this on for a bit :-)

--Gary