[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Sep 19 16:59:15 EDT 2008

Lots of discussion -- but I'm not sure how much benefit the Sugar
*user* might receive.

I think that everybody agrees (myself included) that the user must
be able to call up the Frame anytime.  And for typical Activities,
the amount of screen real estate they *themselves* obstruct (which
the Frame itself doesn't already obstruct) is small.  Looks like a
"general" mechanism to free up screen real estate ends up freeing
mainly areas that get overlain anyway whenever Frame is called.

--------

To me, supporting "multiple windows for one Activity" is a much more
pressing need than supporting "full screen for every Activity".  In
the current Sugar implementation, alt-tab appears to provide an
adequate way to navigate among such windows (i.e., screens) - but
more discussion is needed about the role of Frame in this situation.

--------

I see nothing wrong with what some Activities already implement - by
default they run with some areas obstructed by "decorations" -- but
at the option of the user a short-cut removes those decorations.
[Now if the discussion were about how to best implement such a
facility - go to it.  But it seems to me the discussion is leaning
too far towards a "let's free the Activity's limits" crusade.]

I think that to a user, "gray circles left in Frame" are of more
immediate concern than "shortcomings of using Matchbox with Sugar".

mikus