[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Sep 19 18:05:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> Lots of discussion -- but I'm not sure how much benefit the Sugar
> *user* might receive.

Some users will want to use gimp.  Some will want to use metacity.

> To me, supporting "multiple windows for one Activity" is a much more
> pressing need than supporting "full screen for every Activity".  In
> the current Sugar implementation, alt-tab appears to provide an
> adequate way to navigate among such windows (i.e., screens) - but
> more discussion is needed about the role of Frame in this situation.

I envision having one "screen" with multiple windows.  Basically, each
activity gets its own virtual desktop.  You can either have these
windows decorated or not, depending on whether you prefer tiled or
overlapping window managers.

> I think that to a user, "gray circles left in Frame" are of more
> immediate concern than "shortcomings of using Matchbox with Sugar".

That would be my 'we should use the standard X startup notification
mechanism' rant.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )